A New Year of Intentions
As we transition into a new year with a fresh perspective and appreciation of the year prior, I can’t help but think about all the endless opportunities and possibilities this new year will bring. To start the year off right, I’d like to share some of my intentions with you, put them out into the universe, and potentially help you find yours. Here we go!
1. Share more. I’ve been encouraged to share more of my life, more of my real thoughts, rather than just my interiors, so that’s what I intend to do. I want to be as authentic as possible on here, so if sharing more of my personality and what’s really going on in my life can do that, let’s do it!
2. Start the day earlier. This is a tough one for me, because I’m not a morning person, and I struggle waking up if it’s pitch black out. I looove waking up to natural sunlight. But where I live, that only happens a few months out of the year, so I’m making an effort to wake up earlier, and in turn, go to bed earlier. I’m going to try to do 2 morning workouts a week (in addition to my evening ones), and hopefully see a difference in my productivity and energy!
3. Start meditating. As a frequent yogi, meditating isn’t far fetched for me, but I’d like to start making time for it. I hope to create a new morning routine that incorporates meditation (along with gratitude) to start my day off on the right foot.
4. Listen to the body. I did pretty well with this last year, but I want to continue listening to what my body is telling me. I also want to start lifting more weights and mix up my workouts. I used to love lifting weights, so I’m excited to get back into it.
5. Let the soul sing. This one might be a little woowoo for some people to understand, but it’s pretty obvious that people often ignore what their soul is trying to tell them. Friendship not working out? Cool, maybe it’s not the right one for you right now. Job is draining you? No worries, find something that doesn’t. Not happy in your relationship? Maybe it’s not meant to be. Is your home stressing you out? Ok, maybe it’s time to KonMari your entire place. It’s times that we cut out the noise, ignore the excuses, and listen to what our soul is trying to tell us that we find the right path.
6. Challenge yourself. The first few months of my year will be busy to say the least. Longer work hours, school, the blog, and making time for my dog, fitness, my well-being, family and friends is a lot to juggle, but I’m up for the challenge. I’ve created a schedule that I think will set me up for success, so I’m excited for the challenge, and can’t wait to start learning.
7. Be more present, especially with the ones I love. Even though this blog requires tons of screen time and social media attention, I want to make an effort to be more present, whether that’s with loved ones, having dinner with friends, or exploring a new place, I want to continue living in the now. It’s so important to remember that this is the main event. We aren’t living in some limbo mode just because our life isn’t where we thought it would be. So live like it’s the main event! Don’t waste your time thinking what if, maybe later, it’s not the right time... because wake up! There is no better time than now.
8. Enjoy what you have. As we head into the new year, I want to start enjoying everything I have, and spending way less. I regularly practice the KonMari method in my home (and omg the show is so relaxing - she’s killin it), and it’s made me realize that I really do have everything I need. I shouldn’t be spending money on material items, because I don’t need them. So I’ll be focusing on enjoying the simple things I have, releasing what I don’t love, and living more of a simple life.
9. Laugh everyday. Once my Farfar passed away, I realized just how much he made me laugh. I have certain friends that I literally have stomach cramps from being with all night because I’ve been laughing so hard, and I honestly believe that laughter really is the best medicine! Even on days that I’m laying low, I want to be able to laugh at least once that day. And if that means cracking jokes in the mirror, then that’s what I’ll do lollll.
10. Go out less. As I’ve got older, going out has become way less important to me. And when my friends have similar mindsets and lifestyles to mine, we honestly don’t find a need to go out or drink our faces off. Instead, we catch up on life, have deep convos, watch movies, cook meals, and just enjoy each others’ company. As weird as it sounds, I’m actually looking forward to drinking less, staying in more, enjoying dinner parties and living the hygge life.
11. Get active outside. As active as I was last year, I wish I got outside more. That’s an intention I’d like to set this year - embracing the fresh air, more hikes, more runs, longer walks with Dash, and maybe even a few bike rides.
12. Accept that this is where you’re supposed to be. Even though I never imagined being where I am today, I’m exactly where I need to be. I’m starting a new journey, expanding my knowledge about something I love, and so stoked for what’s to come.
I’m sure this list will grow and evolve as the year progresses, but it’s a great starting point. Let me know if any of these intentions resonated with you. I’d love to hear yours too!